Saturday, May 15, 2010

Friday - Baby Shirt with pleats


As you can probably tell this is based on this wonderful tutorial. But as always, I can't just stick to a pattern and yesterday I had pleats on my mind. I am sure there is a right way to do pleats, but not being aware of it, I just gave it a try.

I added about 4cm on the fold (8cm in total) and then put in the pleats by folding the fabric (one pleat used up a bit more than 1cm). The trim is added with the serger, folded up and than top-stitched.

Adding the pleats makes it a 'more than 90 minute shirt' but then I enjoy the part of playing around a bit.

10 comments:

K said...

Thank you for explaining how you did the pleats. They look great; sucah a cute shirt.

tinee said...

oh wow, this is supercute! love the fabric and color....i am sure this matches perfectly with the grey harem pants/shorts posted earlier..

Isa said...

Oh, this is super adorable!!!

How do you find the time with a small baby...? I'm very impressed!

(And yes, newborns smell like heaven, don't they!)

dana said...

oh my. this is gorgeous. And how am I just finding your blog?
Your site is beautiful. I'll be coming back!
- dana

UK lass in US said...

The pleats really make the top - how sweet!

Commonplace iris said...

So cute (baby and shirt), love the addition of the pleats. I think I should try some for the baby I'm expecting very soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

Valerie said...

:)
see ! it's addictive isn't it ?!
love your sewing !!!

you also made me sew some (blue) stretch : i made some summer leggings for my daughter thanks God I have a serger !)soon on my blog...
xo

cheryl cambras said...

wow, i love this top!! why don't you come for a visit, you can see my show, then we'll just sew sew sew! good for you, getting so many clothes sewn for the challenge. i got some shorts done and will have to post them soon. xoxo

Trula said...

Cheryl, sewing and your show sounds like an excellent idea. I could try to beam myself. Looking forwards to seeing the shorts.

Christine at Origami Mommy said...

This is just lovely! I am in awe. I am daunted by pleats, but I might have to give it a try.