Sunday, December 19, 2010
Just south of the arctic circle
We are getting prepared for the big snow and of course last year's coat is too small and will have to wait patiently for her little sister to grow into it.
This coat started with the wooden buttons. When I decided to make it I thought a new pattern and the actual sewing might take me about 5 hours.
Far from it. It took me a so much longer, because I miscalculated (again!) how much you need to add to the actual measurements to accommodate the thick lining and the sweater and t-shirt worn underneath. Oh, I so hope I'll remember next year. This time I opened the arm/ side seam again and added a strip of fabric.
I love this fabric and can't understand why I only bought 2 meters of it :(
Talking about fabric.... of course, 'pink minimisation' (thank you Jo for the perfect term) was a big topic again. I managed to get away with pink thread for the button fastening and pink lining for the pockets. But only because the bottom part of the coat is a bit like a skirt.
And princesses like skirts.... a lot.