Sunday, December 19, 2010

Just south of the arctic circle



We are getting prepared for the big snow and of course last year's coat is too small and will have to wait patiently for her little sister to grow into it.

This coat started with the wooden buttons. When I decided to make it I thought a new pattern and the actual sewing might take me about 5 hours.

Far from it. It took me a so much longer, because I miscalculated (again!) how much you need to add to the actual measurements to accommodate the thick lining and the sweater and t-shirt worn underneath. Oh, I so hope I'll remember next year. This time I opened the arm/ side seam again and added a strip of fabric.

I love this fabric and can't understand why I only bought 2 meters of it :(

Talking about fabric.... of course, 'pink minimisation' (thank you Jo for the perfect term) was a big topic again. I managed to get away with pink thread for the button fastening and pink lining for the pockets. But only because the bottom part of the coat is a bit like a skirt.
And princesses like skirts.... a lot.

18 comments:

Kelley said...

So cute! Love it, nice work!

fraufertig said...

Wahnsinn. Wie machst du das ohne Schnittmuster? Chapeau.

LG
fraufertig

mon ami said...

Trula this is stunning! I think I want a coat like that for myself.

The pink hysteria hasn't hit my house yet but I can see hints that it is coming. I hope I'll be able to negotiate with pink button thread too;)

Xo

Lili said...

Hi Trula, again magnificent!!!!! Love your work, choices in fabric and ideas! Keep up the good work ;-)

skyturtle said...

Great work. Love the fabric and the pattern.

Today I was in the metro and I saw a little girl with her mom. She was wearing a very very nice jacket that looked couture and I thought... mm could that be Trula and her daughter?

Trula said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments.
@ mon ami. Some f her friends couldn't care less about pink. So you might be lucky ;)

Trula said...

@Skyturtle. That's such a sweet comment. Funny, isn't it? We might actually meet at some point.

skyturtle said...

Hehe, quite possible :)

I hope it will be in a place with lots of fabric and sewing supplies :)

An Art Nest said...

LOVE this...you always surprise me!

rahel said...

Wow- this is one cute coat! Exactly what I am looking for for my daughter- sadly the style for girls seems to be only pink and pink and shiny and glittery- nothing with style.
Great work!

Jo said...

Fantastic pink minimisation Trula!

I hope you and your family had a lovely Christmas x

venus said...

Hello!
I LOVE this coat! Is this pattern your design? I would love to have this pattern.

Happy New Year!

Trula said...

@venus I am afraid I created the pattern myself.I am glad you like it and who knows, maybe at some point I figure out how to make them available to others.

lightbluegrey said...

What a lovely coat on a lovely girl!
Next winter maybe I'll give it a try too. So I'm interested in pattern sharing.
Best wishes from Rotterdam.

fliss said...

Your clothing creations are really so beautiful.. I have not seen one piece so far that I have not liked. This coat is gorgeous and I am right there with you on as little pink as possible. Some days I loose the battles, and that is when I quietly pass on those handed down pink clothes ;)

UK lass in US said...

I love this coat! Each year I plan on making another coat for my daughter and each year it gets bumped off the list. Maybe this will be the year.

AMY said...

I just discovered your blog today from attic 24 and so far I am loving everything I see!! But I super LOVE this coat!

maria said...

wow!! so beautiful coat!!
I want one for my daughter!! :(